Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cage interior setup

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cage interior setup

Postby Pomlover2586 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 am

Any rhyme or reason to setting up a cage on the inside- such as where to place perches, toys ....how many toys, how many perches etc?

I know not to place perches over food bowls to avoid feces landing on them.....and I placed perches in areas so that my Caique can move from one to another easily........and I currently have 6 toys of different kinds in there.......what else should I do?

What do you usually do?
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Re: Cage interior setup

Postby marie83 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 am

Mine have approx 4-5 different perches in, 2 run along by the feed bowls on each side of the cage, 1 is a pedi type perch which is around the same height where his foraging where is placed when he has it in and another 2 higher up for height/security/roosting.
They have between four and six toys in their cage, usually rotated weekly, the number of toys depends on the size of them as I still want them to have room in their cages to fly.
The toys consist of at least 1 foraging toy, 1 chewing/preening toy and 1 playing/bash about toy. The other 1-3 will be random.

They may get extra small toys or foraging toys if I'm going to be away from home for a longer period of time than normal.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing