Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cage for a Meyer's?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Cage for a Meyer's?

Postby jaimmorr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 am

I understand what you're saying, Michael. I appreciate the concern. I do see where you are coming from. As my dogs' owner, I can't imagine them doing anything like that. To just be disobedient (as WE as humans see it, not actually) and attack another member of the family. But I understand that it can and does happen.

Like I have said before, I am not planning on getting the bird in the near future. But I do agree that when that time comes, I should think harder about this subject. I think I am just hoping that everyone will get along and nothing bad will ever happen, but we all know that that is unrealistic. I don't see why I couldn't just have the bird out and have my mom babysit my dogs for the morning, or the afternoon, or the evening, depending on our schedule. (We live in my parents' guest house, so my mom comes over and asks if she kind of shares my dogs with me lol.) I believe that when the time comes, I can definitely find a schedule that fits everyone's needs and wants.

Thanks again for the replies. :)
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby ginger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 am

Yes, I can speak directly to a few cases that I've had personal experience with.

1) Well trained Husky had lived with a parrot in a household for several years with no problems. One afternoon the dog was playing in the living room and having fun. The dog was probably excited and grabbed the bird off the window sill where he was sitting. One time and the bird was gone. That's all it took. The bird was just a toy to the dog. Nothing more. The dog just was playing.

2) A Rat Terrier was part of the family along with three parrots. All seemed to get along well for many years. The parrots were caged in the living room and let out to play on the cage tops. The little Parrotlet decided to venture to the ground to have a look around. The Rat Terrier didn't want the bird on his territory. One moment the bird was there, the next he was clenched inside the jaws of the dog. The owner of the dogs is a dog obedience trainer. Yep, that's right all her dogs were trained to leave the birds alone. If a dog trainer can't do it right then what makes you think you can? Just sayin'.

3) A Chihuahua lived with a single woman and her four parrots. They always were in the same room together without incident for years. All of the birds the woman has are flighted. They were allowed to be out all day and only caged at night. One of the parrots, an Indian Ringneck, flew to the ground as it had done many time before, but that day the dog seemed to be most interested in chasing it. The bird was under a table and had no room to take off. The dog grabbed it by the tail and pulled it out. One quick minute and the bird was finished by such a little dog that I'm sure was just trying to play.

Should I go on? Do you see the point yet? All these people said the same thing, "Not my dog. He'd never do that because I know him and trust him!" Now all these people are statistics on a long list of people who have lost their beloved birds to their pet dogs.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby jaimmorr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 am

Thank you, Ginger. I do see the point and I really don't think there is any need for hostility. It's not like I came on here and said "Lol I have a bird and my dogs play with him every day lol" I don't even have a bird yet. I understand that this is a serious subject that I should think long and hard about, but like I have already said, I don't think it would be a big deal to put the dogs in my mom's house for the evening every day so the bird can be out without taking any chances. What is wrong with that? I'm not going to get rid of my dogs, like a bird, they are members of my family and not things that can just be tossed away. And I don't think having dogs means a person cannot have other animals in the house. Caution just needs to be practiced and the animals can be seperated.
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Postby ginger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:43 pm

No need to get defensive. Just giving you something to think about.
ginger
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Congo African Grey, 8 Senegals, 1 Bare-eyed Cockatoo,
lots of cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, and a few parakeets. :)

Postby jaimmorr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:30 pm

I do apologize for getting defensive. I just felt like you were being hostile with me. Trust me, I have thought about that. My animals are my life. Right now, I work, but then I go home and that's all I do. I might hang out with a friend once every two weeks or so, but really I just like to spend time with my animals. And in the near future, I won't even be working anymore. So, I feel that I would be able to give a bird a really good home and lots of time. Thank you for your replies. :)
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Postby GlassOnion » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:55 pm

I'd be more worried if you had multiple cats, who have a higher prey drive and usually can't be trained not to attack. With dogs, it's easier to manage IMO. Close supervision, always!!
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby jaimmorr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks, Glass Onion. :) Nope, definitely no cats here! :lol: I'm not a big fan of cats. I like them, but I don't like to own them, if that makes sense!
jaimmorr
Cockatiel

Previous

Return to Housing