Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is this wire too thin/weak for a sun conure?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Is this wire too thin/weak for a sun conure?

Postby RowanF » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Is this wire too thin/weak for a sun conure? Would he chew through it?

RowanF
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Two lovebirds and a sun conure.
Flight: Yes

Re: Is this wire too thin/weak for a sun conure?

Postby marie83 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:45 pm

To be honest I don't really know what a sun can chew through but it doesn't look all that secure to me.
I would definitely do something with the wood though, ok he won't be able to chew his way out in a day but over time he might. If it's not possible to do anything with it then you will need to keep a close eye on it.
It would also be very easy for someone to get in and take him.
You will also need to be cautious of what plants are around the aviary incase he manages to get to any through the wire- they may be toxic.

Sorry to pull your aviary to bits like that, my post sounds very negative but I hope you will consider it as constructive critism. The aviary is probably ok but I'm sure you can find a way to make cheap improvements if you find it necessary.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby RowanF » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:50 pm

marie83 wrote:To be honest I don't really know what a sun can chew through but it doesn't look all that secure to me.
I would definitely do something with the wood though, ok he won't be able to chew his way out in a day but over time he might. If it's not possible to do anything with it then you will need to keep a close eye on it.
It would also be very easy for someone to get in and take him.
You will also need to be cautious of what plants are around the aviary incase he manages to get to any through the wire- they may be toxic.

Sorry to pull your aviary to bits like that, my post sounds very negative but I hope you will consider it as constructive critism. The aviary is probably ok but I'm sure you can find a way to make cheap improvements if you find it necessary.

The only way someone would take him is if my neighbor climbed over the fence right into my backyard, lol. I've had those lovebirds there for two years and that has yet to happen.
RowanF
Parrotlet

Postby marie83 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Well that is true, it may be unlikely but still something to consider, someone determined enough would do it anyway but why make their life easier. If I had my tiel and my conure in seperate aviaries I know for sure that a theif would go after the conure first as he has more value. It's completely up to you and what you think the risk is according to your personal circumstances. I know nothing of your personal circumstances, your experience with birds etc so I was just pointing out things that would apply to me incase you hadn't considered something :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby RowanF » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Thanks, I will definitely take into account your advice.
RowanF
Parrotlet

Postby terri » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Becareful Almost looks like he could get his head stuck.I have a new one and shes a chewer.Im definately getting her a new cage when shes older .Dont underestimate these sun conures. :D
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby RowanF » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Mine also chews constantly. But I didn't think they'd be able to chew straight through metal. Are you sure that wire is too thin?
RowanF
Parrotlet

Postby Grey_Moon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Unless they make stainless steel chicken wire the biggest threat I see here is zinc or lead poisoning. I would, if you could, invest in an aviary. If the sun or the lovies decide to chew on it or ingest some while climbing around you're in for trouble and some biig vet bills.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby gabbagabbawill » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:13 pm

yes, most outdoor use wire like this is coated with zinc for rustproofing. since zinc is highly toxic to birds, I wouldn't want my sun conure in there... sun's are more likely to chew on this kind of wire. I also agree that it could get stuck in it.
gabbagabbawill
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jello - Sun Conure - DOH 6/4/11

Postby RowanF » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 am

I've already dealt with the zinc issue, the wire won't be a problem in that way. Those lovebirds have been in there forever and they chew on everything. Each of the holes is much smaller than his head, would he still be able to get stuck?

Also, I really just want to know if the wire is strong enough for a sun conure's beak.
RowanF
Parrotlet

Next

Return to Housing