Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Good play trees for senegal?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Good play trees for senegal?

Postby Nir » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Can someone recommend me some good play trees for Senegal sized birds. Just doing more homework. The play tree michael has is great but looking for a good one thats not to expensive and is a smaller version of it.
Nir
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Good play trees for senegal?

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:02 pm

The ones on the market are either sucky or really expensive. I'm in the process of developing an ideal compromise of price/quantity and hope to have it available for purchase by September. It won't be like the tree I have for Truman (that is much harder to build and time consuming) but will employ some of the concepts and values I have established while building that one.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Nir » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Michael wrote:The ones on the market are either sucky or really expensive. I'm in the process of developing an ideal compromise of price/quantity and hope to have it available for purchase by September. It won't be like the tree I have for Truman (that is much harder to build and time consuming) but will employ some of the concepts and values I have established while building that one.

the screws you implemented on your tree i think is a great idea so hopefully you can do that on all the trees. Will be looking forward to it. I was looking in the market and they are just way 2 expensive. The ones i like are always 200$ and up.
Nir
Poicephalus

Postby marie83 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:29 am

We did this, it only cost £7.50 for the gravel and the pot. It's actually quite lightweight and easy to move about considering but you can take some of the gravel out if needed which is why we didn't concrete it in. A towel or newspaper on top of the gravel stops poop getting in the gravel.
You could use two pots and thicker branches to make it more sturdy for a senegal. Because the branches are natural most of them dont actually need hooks added to them to get the toys to stay on. The only drawback of such a simple design is it does take up more room.

marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Nir » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:17 pm

marie83 wrote:We did this, it only cost £7.50 for the gravel and the pot. It's actually quite lightweight and easy to move about considering but you can take some of the gravel out if needed which is why we didn't concrete it in. A towel or newspaper on top of the gravel stops poop getting in the gravel.
You could use two pots and thicker branches to make it more sturdy for a senegal. Because the branches are natural most of them dont actually need hooks added to them to get the toys to stay on. The only drawback of such a simple design is it does take up more room.

Where did you get those branches. And does the pot and gravel actually keep the branches sturdy enough?
Nir
Poicephalus

Postby Pomlover2586 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Most pre-made play stands are expensive. I'm looking at spending close to $300 for my next one. But the benefit is that if you buy the right one and take care of it they last years!
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Postby marie83 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Nir wrote:
Where did you get those branches. And does the pot and gravel actually keep the branches sturdy enough?
[/quote]

The branches were from my boyfriends parents garden as we knew they hadn't been treated. I used to get apple branches for perches in the cage from my parents til they said I had taken too many lol. It is suprisingly sturdy but we have increased the sturdiness by tieing the places where the branches meet. I would feel quite safe letting a senegal sized bird use it but I would cement the branches into the pot for anything larger I think as a precaution.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Tro » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Michael wrote:I'm in the process of developing an ideal compromise of price/quantity and hope to have it available for purchase by September.

:o That would be amazing!

I shopped around for a long time for a play tree stand that looked like tree tops for my GCC. I wanted him to feel like he was in the wild when he played on it! Needless to say Michael is right and I couldn't find a good, somewhat reasonably priced one, and I don't have the creative mind or know how to build one. So I ended up just getting one of those metal play stands that roll and attached a bunch of rope and grapevine perches along with a climbing net to it and my bird enjoys playing on it none the less.
Tro
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheeck conure

Return to Housing