Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Housing for Blue-eyed Cockatoo

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Housing for Blue-eyed Cockatoo

Postby JacobBird » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 am

My Blue-eyed cockatoo needs a cage and I am just wandering what is a suitable size for him. I am finding a cage that suits an adult/full grown Blue-eyed cockatoo. His cage will include a good amount of toys, several perches, etc. Please kindly help me on what dimensions (approximately) would this bird suit. Thx :cockatoo:
JacobBird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-eyed Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Housing for Blue-eyed Cockatoo

Postby Pomlover2586 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:04 pm

My thought is as big as you can afford with proper bar spacing- no more than 3/4 inch. It's a cage.....you want it to be as large as possible for optimal movement.
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Postby Eurycerus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:22 pm

No smaller than 3/4 inch bar spacing. For big parrots small bar spacing can cause psychological issues but I'm pretty sure due to the size requirement you won't even be looking at small bar spacing. I got an enormous cage for my Senegal because i felt she deserved it.

The internet says a minimum of 24 by 36 by 48. Larger is always better because cockatoos are huge. My Senegal is in a 30 by 30 by 43 and senegals are little
Eurycerus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby Polarn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:11 am

I can't remember the sizes for different cockatoos here. But we have minimum requirements allowed here depending on the birds size. You have spans for the length of the cage and the depth is always a minimum of 2x the birds length, but never smaller than 45cm (about 18in). So basically the minimum cage size here for an amazon is 160cm X 90cm floor space and 120 cm high.
In some cases I don't really agree with the measurements set for various birds here in Sweden, and a lot of the cage sizes are pretty low I think especially the hight. However I do think it's good their there as a minimum and eventually perhaps everyone here will allow their birds having atleast their minimum cages. The birds here that are more frequently found in too small cages than in right sized ones are cockatiels and macaws. Due to the conflicting length/body size proportion of a cockatiel their usually but in cages sized for budgies. And macaws because people get em even if they doesn't have the room for a big enough cage, if I'm not mistaken the long side has to be atleast 350cm wich is about 12feet. And that's huge.

But as mentioned above the bigger the better. I feel bad for my galah ATM having to live in too small of a cage. Although she is t caged that much but she thinks she can fly and she will jump and fall like a rock. So when cages she is in quite a low cage and It looks so cramped. Even if the floor space is quite decent. Once quarantine is over though I got her place set up with a nice walking area and access to the lower parts of the tree.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Return to Housing