Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New cage for a Hahns

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

New cage for a Hahns

Postby snuffkin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:32 am

I'm looking at getting a new cage for my one year old Hahns macaw, my target price is around £180 but would consider more for something really special.
At the moment he has the medium Haiti cage but we're looking for something a little bigger.
Does anybody have experience with this cage?
http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Liberta_D ... t_Cage.htm
The only down side i can see is that it only has two food bowls, he's used to three (water, pellets, fruit+veg) but presumably you can get additional bolt on food bowls??

Any other info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance :macaw:
snuffkin
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: New cage for a Hahns

Postby Polarn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:17 pm

I've got no comments on the cage really. But there are various kinds of bolt on/ hang on bowls. I'm currently using 3 different types Gila has 2 that you hang over horizontal bars and one that you clamp between vertical ones with a wing nut. Polarn has 2 that are screwed onto wood. All of these are of a kind where you can just lift the bowls up and their fixing will still stay. I used to have the hang on kind for Polarn but he flicks them down. And he undoes wingnuts, but hopefully he doesn't develop a Philips head on the top of his beak.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Re: New cage for a Hahns

Postby dhosner » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Snuffkin, did you purchase your cage yet? I was was going to suggest a cage that is more wide than it is tall. YOu will find your bird wants to stay in the upper half of the cage, rendering the bottom pointless. THis goes back to them wanting to be on a very high branch in the wild as they are prey animals and being high was safer for them in their habbitat. Regarding bowls, you can also puchase stainless bowls that just hook through the bars without screwing them on. Also there are crock lock bowls which would be perfect.
dhosner
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: 2 cockatiels, 1 green cheeked conure, 1 mitred conure, 1 hahns macaw, 1 yellow collared macaw

Return to Housing