Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help please! Is this a safe wood for a foraging tree??

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Help please! Is this a safe wood for a foraging tree??

Postby susiequ53 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:59 am

I've searched the web, this forum and my books and have found zero information regarding the use of Henry Lauder Walking Stick wood (Corylus Avellana "Contorta", aka Contorted Filbert. It is also in the same family as the hazelnut tree but again no info found as a non or safe wood. The only thing I found was that nut trees were on the safe list but is this considered one?? It would make an awesome perch tree because of the sheer contorted craziness of all the branches! I had two in my yard that didn't make it due to our weird drought followed by flooding spring and summer season here. I was wondering if any one had ever used it or had a thumbs up or down on utilizing it for a foraging tree. I've already got the image in my head so I hope it's a safe wood. Thanks to anyone that can help me out!
susiequ53
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: parakeets, canary, Senegal, black headed caique, cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Help please! Is this a safe wood for a foraging tree??

Postby marie83 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:28 am

Corkscrew Hazel is safe, got no idea about the other trees in the family though.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Return to Housing