Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Likes his cage to much.

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Likes his cage to much.

Postby EleriDragonfly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm

I've had this problem with my budgie for a long time now. Whenever I take him out of his cage, either to train him or clean the cage, he tries to get back into it. If I put him on his playstand he'll fly off of it and land on top of his cage and start scuttling along the top trying to get back in. If I try to have him with my when I'm on my laptop, he'll fly away to get back into his cage. Even when I try to bring him out of his cage, he'll turn around and hop straight back onto his perch. I don't know what to do, it's a little disheartening that he'd rather be in his cage than spend any time with me, is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make him enjoy coming out of his cage?
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Pied Whiteface Cockatiel
Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2
Flight: Yes

Re: Likes his cage to much.

Postby JacobBird » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:58 am

Try to have something outside that motivates him. Like have a big meal outside where he have no option but to come out to have it. Just something that he likes that he needs to go out of his cage to have it. Sooner or later he will think that when he comes out, there would always be something that he likes.
JacobBird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-eyed Cockatoo

Re: Likes his cage to much.

Postby EleriDragonfly » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Thank you I'll try that and see how it goes.
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Pied Whiteface Cockatiel
Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2

Return to Housing