Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot belly feathers

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Parrot belly feathers

Postby blackscell » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:14 am

Hi,

Lately I have been noticing my African Grey her belly feathers are sticking out, is this a problem?
If so, what could it be?
Attachments
123.jpg
blackscell
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot belly feathers

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:56 am

It's hard to tell exactly what is going on from the picture... Sometimes, when a down feather is going to be dropped from molt, it sticks out a bit but it never lasts because it falls in a matter of hours so, if you have been seeing down feathers in her chest for a while and concentrated in a single spot, she might be beginning to pluck (the chest is one of the most commonly plucked areas -legs been another one).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby blackscell » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:12 am

I wonder why she would be plucking, she is barely in
Her cage and gets alot of attention every day.

Her belly had always looked a bit ruffled but now it
Is very visible.
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:59 pm

blackscell wrote:I wonder why she would be plucking, she is barely in
Her cage and gets alot of attention every day.

Her belly had always looked a bit ruffled but now it
Is very visible.

I doubt shes plucking if she gets a lot of attention, I also have a Female and in the 8 years ive had her she has never showed any signs of depression or plucking and she joins in with all the family and featherd family though shes scared of the smaller birds.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:58 pm

Finding the cause for a birds plucking can sometimes be fairly simple, but in many cases it can be very difficult to figure out why the bird begins to pluck. The very first step in trying to figure out why you bird is plucking ( if it is) is a medical examination to rule out parasites or other medical reasons such as an illness, from there it is a good idea to take a very close look at the birds daily diet so as to eliminate such obvious allergens as soy from the birds diet and then to continue on to look at your husbandry in terms of the birds lifestyle so that you can identify and eliminate things that may be causing your bird to stress. Sometimes the actual cause of a bird starting to pluck is not found as it could be related to how the bird was cared for while it was just a baby, during the imprinting, fledging and / or weaning processes. This can be even more difficult to discover when the bird is of a sensitive or nervous species such as an African Grey Parrot.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Yes, Wolf is right. Sometimes, it's because the bird is chronically high-strung due to a bad infancy (bad breeder, improper weaning, etc) BUT even in cases like this, one can do a lot to fix and/or prevent this from happening because there is always a trigger for the high stress... this could be that the bird is sexually frustrated... it could be that, although it gets a lot of attention, is not the 'right' kind of attention (grays, in particular, don't like 'busy' households or living with a number of people, they are one-person birds), sometimes it's the other pets in the house (some of them feel very threatened by other birds or get all bent out of shape by dogs or cats) so, why don't you tell us exactly what its life is like, who lives with him, what is his light schedule and daily routine, his diet, etc. and we might be able to identify the stressor that is causing it to pluck. Because, when it comes to plucking, you need to nip it in the bud as soon as it starts or it becomes a habit very hard to break.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby blackscell » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:30 am

I don't think she is plucking, haven't seen her do it and she gets at least 8 hours attention a day, flies freely and hasn't showed any distress signs. Is still very playfully, and definitly not a one person bird. She likes everyone in the Household.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is the weather outside, and that it is pretty cold inside at home. Should the heater be turned on?
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:20 am

blackscell wrote:I don't think she is plucking, haven't seen her do it and she gets at least 8 hours attention a day, flies freely and hasn't showed any distress signs. Is still very playfully, and definitly not a one person bird. She likes everyone in the Household.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is the weather outside, and that it is pretty cold inside at home. Should the heater be turned on?

The heating should always be on when its cold
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:22 pm

I don't allow the temperature in the birdroom (or the rest of the house, for that matter) to get any lower than 65 F.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:28 am

My heat is set to come on between 65 and 67 F., depending on such things as the humidity and how strong the wind is blowing outside. I have always noted that if the wind is blowing hard outside in the winter that it makes the house colder and the same is true with a higher humidity. Well with the humidity, it might not actually be any colder but it always feels colder with the higher humidity.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet